Having extra money to pay off the bills, reduce debt, put into retirement savings, or simply to take a vacation is something we all would appreciate. If your day job does not tax you out too much, here are seven easy ways to bring in extra income.
- Airbnb. Do you have an extra bedroom, or even a nicely furnished basement suite? Or do you travel quite a bit, leaving behind an empty home? Airbnb has become the largest alternative hospitality web platform in the world. Its founding purpose was to help people become entrepreneurs. Assuming you like people and don’t mind hosting strangers in your home, this can be a great way to earn extra income.
- Rent out your car. If you own your car and it is in good condition, rent it out through GetAround or Turo, web platforms that connect people interested in renting a car from owners like you. Many consumers are beginning to prefer renting a car over purchasing one, and are looking for alternative, financially-friendly resources. As with all things, solutions are on the web. So put your car there and start making some extra money.
- Become a chauffeur. If you prefer to keep your car in your own hands, and like driving around, consider becoming a private chauffeur. Websites such as Lyft and Uber will help connect you to people looking for private drivers.
- Become a consultant. Share your skills and knowledge with others. Internet sites such as HourlyNerd and The Second Shift connect skilled professionals with small businesses in need of assistance to help them through transitions and other challenges. Work is done on a project basis and you can take on as many projects as feasible. You may decide you love it and quit your day job altogether.
- Work as a mystery shopper. If you like to shop, this could be a perfect side job. Restaurants, retailers and other businesses hire mystery shoppers who frequent different establishments and then report their experiences to the clients. In this way, businesses can improve their customer service and bottom line. You control your schedule, take on as many assignments as you want and you can improve your bottom line too, plus have fun.
- Join a focus group. Companies utilize focus groups to help them strategize around product launch, marketing efforts, branding, public image and other topics that are important to their success in the marketplace. A few hours of time spent in a focus group can net you a nice bit of money with minimal effort. Some companies will even come to your home. Check out FindFocusGroup.com for a roster of available focus groups.
- Become a virtual assistant. If you have strong communication skills, are highly organized and have a home office, you can earn very good extra money as a virtual assistant. There are many solo executives working out of their homes, who need help with maintaining a “virtual office.” Primarily, you will be setting up appointments and meetings, ordering supplies, and typing and sending out emails, and you can do it all from home, during your off hours. VirtualAssistants.com and Zirtual are web portals that connect you with executives looking for virtual assistants.