You survived Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but if you are like most of us, you still have some holiday shopping to do, a trip to take and perhaps even some purchases for yourself that you want to make before the year is over. While it may seem like all the good days are behind you, there is still time to find bargain prices on certain items so you can save money and stay within your budget. As always, be smart, shop around and be cautious with those credit cards.
Here are 10 simple tips to help you save money in December:
- Toys: Hopefully you already purchased those toys the kids have been waiting for. If not, get them gift cards instead. Christmas Eve, especially, is the worse time to shop as you will find yourself with less stock from which to choose and higher prices (even though the sale sign might tell you otherwise).
- Jewelry: Maybe you want to wow your sweetheart with a beautiful diamond necklace but December is not the time to make the purchase. Actually, the best time is in the summer. You can save as much as 40 percent. In December, in anticipation of the gift-giving season, retailers raise prices, so that “sale” is not really a sale.
- Gift cards: The entire month of December is an optimal time to purchase gift cards. Retailers, restaurants, and service providers, both in-store and on-line, offer gift cards at substantial discounts in December. Additionally, many retailers are giving gift cards for free for certain purchases or spending levels.
- Holiday decorations: If you are missing a few decorations, wait until after the holidays to purchase them, even as soon as the day after. You will find sales of as much as 70 percent off the retail price.
- Automobiles: If you are in the market for a new automobile, the best day is December 31st. Dealerships want to clear out the old to make room for new inventory. According to Truecar.com, New Year’s Eve discounts averaged more than 8 percent.
- Tools: Thinking about doing some renovating around the house, or maybe adding that home office in the garage? December is the best month for purchasing tools and hardware. You can save as much as one-third off the usual price. If you combine this with manufacturer coupons you can save even more.
- Electronics: The store displays may look enticing, but the sales will be much better if you wait until January. All the new models hit the stores then, and retailers will be anxious to unload “old” stock. You can find some very good sale prices on televisions, sound systems, CD players, etc. This goes for online purchases too. In fact, with online cash-back deals and coupons you can keep more money in your pocket.
- Love to cook? December is a great month to purchase those professional pots and pans you have been waiting for so you can treat your family and friends to some gourmet meals. Cookware, appliances and other kitchen items are heavily discounted in December making it an excellent time to stock up on all that you need.
- Are you a Golfer? If you need a new set of clubs, December is one of the best months to buy them. They will be this year’s model, but if you are not anxious to have the very latest clubs on the market, then December is the month to find the best deals.
- Exercise equipment: Thinking ahead to your New Year’s resolutions? So are the exercise equipment retailers. To help you reach your goals, they offer very good sale prices on various pieces of exercise equipment throughout the month of December.